Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disorder marked by an ongoing pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development.
Inattention and hyperactivity/impulsivity are the key behaviors of ADHD. Some people with ADHD only have problems with one of the behaviors, while others have both inattention and hyperactivity-impulsivity.Most children have the combined type of ADHD.
In preschool, the most common symptom is hyperactivity.ADHD is more common in males than females, and females with ADHD are more likely to have problems primarily with inattention. Other conditions, such as learning disabilities, anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, depression, and substance abuse, are common in people with ADHD.
Treatment for ADHD has 2 components- Psychotherapy and Medication.Its very necessary to use a combination of both for effective results.As medication helps in relieving the symptoms,psychotherapy is used for improving their life conditions.So that they find it easy to cope with this disease.
Different children need different kinds of treatment and its the work of the doctor to analyse the child and provide them with the correct kind of treatment.Counselling can play a vital role as kids love to talk and it is considered as the best therapy for them.
Some tips for dealing with ADHD children-
- Keep a proper routine of your kid.Try not to change the schedule and keep it same for every day.
- Try to organise things in a systematic manner.
- Don’t always critise your kid.Love them unconditionally and praise them.
- Make some rules for your children.Children suffering from ADHD need proper clear cut rules,use reminder notes.
- Play with them.Make them feel loved.
- Every child is unique and so its our duty to respect their uniqueness.And love them for who they are.
- And remember it is treatable.The more love you show to your kid and continue with the treatment process easier will be the recovery.