Depression can be defined as loss of interest/pleasure in day to day activities and a feeling of extreme sadness prevailing for a long period of time.
Many medications are there for the treatment of depression.These medications known as antidepressants work on the neurotransmitter cells especially serotonin and norepinephrine.
If a person is suffering from depression his/her family should immediately consult a psychiatrist as these patients tend to have lot of suicidal thoughts.The most important thing a family can do is to provide a positive environment to the depressed person.This can build confidence in that person and help him/her to heal themselves.
Medication and counselling are the most effective treatments in the case of depression.Don’t get ashamed to consult a psychiatrist.Like diabetes and heart diseases depression is also a normal illness and if prevailing for a longer duration it can get converted into a serious problem and may lead to suicidal thoughts and withdrawal symptoms from society.So its very necessary to get help when you need it.
One more thing is that once you have started taking medications,don’t stop them abruptly without consulting the doctor.This can relapse the disease.Always consult your doctor before leaving medications as it is not safe to stop the dosage suddenly.This can create more complications and worsen your condition.Consult your doctor when you are facing any side effects of the medicines.It is very important for your doctor to know everything about you to give correct treatment.
Some tips to help you overcome depression –
- Spend time with the people who love you and care for you.Don’t isolate yourself.
- Get active and exercise daily.This improves blood circulation and balance hormones.
- Think positive don’t dwell on the negatives.
- Set achievable goals step by step.Be patient everything you desire will eventually come to you.
- Spend time in nature and live in the present moment.
- Start writing a diary expressing your feelings and emotions.