Panic attacks is a sudden surge of fear and anxiety.Heart beat increases and the patient might feel suffocation in breathing.It can occur also when we are in deep sleep.
Panic attack can also be the result of a trauma or shock.Major life transitions like divorce,change in career,death of a closed one can trigger panic attack.Panic attacks can also be caused by physical conditions like heart problems,hyperthyroidism,hypoglycemia etc.
Symptoms of Panic attacks
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest Pain
- Sensation of choking
- Trembling or shaking
- Chills or hot flashes
- A fear that you are losing control or are about to die.
Panic attacks are treatable with the help of counselling,Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and medication.Beyond the panic attacks themselves, a key symptom of panic disorder is the persistent fear of having future panic attacks. The fear of these attacks can cause the person to avoid places and situations where an attack has occurred or where they believe an attack may occur.
Major causes of panic disorder includes family history,substance abuse or addiction,abnormalities in the brain functioning etc.Stress can also become a cause of panic attack when it is prolonged for a long period.
Hence we should avoid stress at all costs.Severe tension,depression and stress can result in the occurrence of panic attacks.
Consult a psychiatrist if you are unable to manage it.Otherwise it can create more health issues.
Some tips to say goodbye to panic attacks-
- Practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing
- Exercising regularly helps us to balance our hormones and increase serotonin, a neurotransmitter which helps in uplifting our mood.
- Avoid alcohol,smoking.
- Incorporate more fruits and green leafy vegetables in your diet.
- Surround yourself with family and friends.
- Listening to peaceful music also helps a lot in dealing with panic attacks.
- Spent some time in nature and feel the beauty present there.